Visa Rules

Update 29th August 2014, Thai Immigration has limited entries on visa exemption stamps. The aim is to have travelers arriving with valid Visas. Holder of valid multiple entry visas are still able to cross via land border.   However in the past few weeks so many rumors or wrong information has been circulated. This info is up to date.

As of today a new Police Order 327/2557 will come into effect, changes and explanations will be provided soon, some of the changes are positive.

  • Real Tourist arriving via an international airport will still obtain a 30 day stay, however travelers using OUT/IN method to extend stay will be denied entry. Decision is at the discretion of the Officer, strict enforcement after 12th August 2014.
  • Holders of valid Tourist Visa will be granted a 60 day stay and a valid Non Immigrant Visa allow 90 day stay, no changes if you hold valid visa.

1. Tourist Visa Waiver (visa exemption), no visa is required prior to commencing travel to Thailand.

  • Countries which get 90 days: Brazil, Chile, Peru, South Korea (not possible to enter via any Land border), Argentina.
  • Countries which get 30 days: Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Laos, Macau, Mongolia, Russia, USA, United Kingdom and Vietnam.THESE COUNTRIES CAN ENTER VIA AIRPORT AND ARE ALLOWED ONE  30 DAY STAMP FROM LAND BORDER. AFTER THAT THEY HAVE TO APPLY FOR A VISA AT THAI EMBASSY. Laotian special, please check with us.
  • Countries which get 30 days at Airport and ONE 15 day stamp upon entry at land border: Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Brunei, Belgium, Czech, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Kuwait, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Oman, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Slovak, Slovenia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and  UAE. THESE COUNTRIES CAN ENTER VIA AIRPORT AND ARE ALLOWED ONE 15 DAY STAMP FROM LAND BORDER. AFTER THAT THEY HAVE TO APPLY FOR A VISA AT THAI EMBASSY. 

2. Countries which get Visa on Arrival at certain ports of entry in Thailand, however it is NOT possible to obtain a Visa on Arrival to enter Thailand at any Thai/Cambodian Checkpoints: Andorra, Bhutan, Bulgaria, China, Cyprus, Estonia, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.

3. Other country’s passport holders must obtain a Visa at a Thai diplomatic post abroad prior to commencing travel to Thailand.

General info and things to consider: We strongly recommend you to copy or record with your camera, upon entry into Thailand, following pages and keep the copies separate: Passport, latest Visa, latest Entry stamp and latest TM Card (Embarkation Card).

Apply for visa extensions at the Immigration Office in Soi 7 off Chaeng Watana Road from Monday to Friday, or at your local Immigration Office.

Re-entry permits are available at Suvarnabhumi International Airport and Don Muang International Airmort, departure hall. After check in and security, but before you reach Thai Immigration departure desk.

A 60day “Tourist Visa” in general will be extended for 30-days, cost THB 1,900.-.

A  30/15day “visa exemption stamp” (and any Non Immigrant Visa) will be extended for 7 days only. Any extension costs THB 1,900.-,by end of August 2014 we expect that you can extend for a “Tourist visa exemption stamp” by 30 days, please wait for Official announcement.

Requirements for a Non Immigrant Visa “B”, Documents required are : 1. Recommendation letter addressed to the Royal Embassy Vientiane/Laos (stating about the employment and visa application) and accompanied with the certified copy of the ID of the endorser(s) 2. Employment contract 3. Form of the Employment Certification 4. Approval Letter from the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare of Thailand or Copy of the current work permit 5. Copy of corporate documents, namely; – company registration certificate – list of company shareholders – memorandum of company’s regulation – latest income tax statement – latest registration of value added tax For applicant who wishes to work for an academic institute; as full or part-time teacher, tutor or teaching assistant, documents required are; 1. Official letter from the Ministry of Education of Thailand, or other sub-authorities concerned, approving the employment of foreign academic personnel 2. Recommendation letter addressed to the Royal Thai Embassy Vientiane/Laos (stating about the employment and visa application) and accompanied with the certified copy of the ID of the endorser 3. Employment contract 4. Form of the Employment Certification 5. Copy of registration certificate of the concerned academic institute 6. Copy of applicant’s academic certificate/record 7. Copy of the recent police clearance or certificate of no criminal conviction. 8. Copy of the previous/current work permit (if any) In the event that you hold a Non-Immigrant Visa Type “B” with work permit  and you resign before the expiration date, you must immediately cancel the visa at Thai Immigration. It is not necessary to return the Work Permit anymore, however the company must issue a letter confirming the last day of employment. There is no “7-day grace period” anymore , however Thai Immigration will offer you a 7 day extension of stay but you have to pay THB 1,900.-. Some border checkpoints will not allow you to leave Thailand without a canceled visa stamp in your passport! Ban Laem and Nong Khai are two of them.

Overstay charges are THB 500.-/day – up to a maximum fine of THB 20,000.-. Overstay is a serious offence and following regulation might come, within 2-3month, into effect,  NO Official date has yet been announced.

The aliens who violate The Immigration Act, B.E.2522 by overstaying more than 90 days in the Kingdom of Thailand will be forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for a certain period of time as follow ;

Overstay more than 90 days forbidden 1 year

Overstay more than 1 year forbidden 3 years

Overstay more than 3 years forbidden 5 years

Overstay more than 5 years forbidden 10 years

In the case that alien is being apprehended

Overstay less than 1 year forbidden 5 years

Overstay more than 1 years forbidden 10 years

For further information visit: